Re: [Harp-L] Keeping the music alive - trio recording from 1958
- To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Keeping the music alive - trio recording from 1958
- From: George Miklas <harmonicat@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:42:00 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=Cf2y+qPGx3CyPP+GCK8yWF0J1/mD76kYkMDFjyZ8BaU=; b=l/+3igT1y13nJ/4oHdbkcfv7o6mw6zqtwu7t/JHbOk/U0jXO7seGDZbHI/69xLNjbw MvFjIiQjpgECLG+DQtaLsPNzITQGob0SQ45xAHp/i8vHCJ5iXhq8kLEts/FB7rAnd+GU UD3xBMjMZ2fFUrh4nVSitasl4YndQjJhTF2RQ=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=fsa3QYI9Fhll1jR1PStcK+4f1by2ARnnVUmA1i9pnaLAHnDH5cSBApXyPisHs59Dj6 +P1JGGxkSeOp0Foi8eSwcppGoRHOIpf28Tt4q4dihDbsWjdVehV1bgZs6G/UpDMhqhFx 6l0ZFPIcajae/PmrsnE2SM+vKHvy3KwDhAzSQ=
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Thanks for sharing. It is wonderful that this audio recording was
preserved, and now it is shared.
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM, David Payne <
> There's this dude, calls himself cool jazz with three "Os" and three "Zs."
> He's a pretty good musician - don't think he plays harp, though, and he's
> paying homage to his old man, Monty Dowdy. Seems pretty proud of him, as he
> should be, says it's his musical heritage and whatnot. Point is, kid's doing
> some good keeping the memory alive.
> He somehow found some audio of his old man's trio, the Harmonicombo,
> playing at some shindig in North Carolina back in 1958, which just happened
> to be recorded by some dude who turned on a reel-to-reel recorder
> backstage.... they are playing Harmonicats Boogie and some other H-Cats
> cover. Boogie, for instance, has a little bit of something that isn't
> Harmonicats in it... something a little different and that's good... it's
> good to hear things that are different.
> It's always good when you see a little piece of history like that saved...
> Harp-L is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org
"Three Gs and an E flat....who would ever think...that these four
notes...would be the main theme...of a major symphonic work?" Arthur G.
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and