From: Arthur Jennings <timeistight@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] help me choose the right chromatic harmonica !
To: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, August 24, 2009, 9:48 AM

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

if you half-valve a chromatic (remove all the valves on the outside of
each reedplate) you will be able to get bends that sound like diatonic
bends (because both blow and draw reeds will contribute to the sound of
the bent note), but those bends will be limited in range to at most a
semitone. That's what I meant about not being able to bend deeply on a
half-valved chromatic.

That's true for solo-tuned instruments. I
believe some half-valving proponents also adopt alternate tuning
arranges such as diminished or so-called Richter tunings that allow
deeper two-reed bends.

--
Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com