[Harp-L] Amp opinions?
- To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [Harp-L] Amp opinions?
- From: Mike Fugazzi <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 14:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1251063723; bh=zyRgHD9ssiFcOWLeHJjceM9Eyz349xAFZC7R+GsGAac=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=n0ga1Ecwdka/LFJYcCQDe1Oumi1JedR2/ufyrzr+yKS884Cxp2l3SomuKv5J4jl+RLauOujNNnr7O+1KDzbQRmmogNF87Cx0G6lOWA34ZX6PsIDN+XRCudcCfnT2lpQS59/4+ISfQ7ga1l91+ruPoLKTXKiVzhumsSgsasQhCTA=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=nVOrNxQ1nFFz15ufITHS4QTPqKsANrp//XFtmQZSrOqkAxmyqHv21AKZrNaa/Lo9BvwS+UcV7C7+lt4e1uV85ShOzd48QS5D++U5YW6fFs0s1qeqRWwze/auAM5HUYa4pTJOot5E2F3aiWOhGB0A6fLxeLJyknamor7qTamleh0=;
I know I sound like a broken record here!
I have an Allen Old Flame 2x10 and a Vibro Champ (both used for harmonica). My guitar player uses a Princeton Reverb RI with a Celestion speaker, upgraded tubes, and a Van Dehul speaker cable (yes it makes a difference).
For most club dates, I can get by with the VC for stage volume (both our amps are miked). I haven't tried outdoors.
I am not thrilled with the Old Flame for my uses. I am thinking of selling it (I've tried numerous tubes and speakers to the point of having wasted enough to buy a super sweet third amp). I would use the funds to trick out the VC and maybe pick up another blackface inspired amp that is more harp friendly. The OF is just feedback prone and I don't think it has any better tone than the VC, although it does have a bigger sound at 50w and 2x10 (just a 8" in the Champ)...I use my Kinder with it and you can hear it at http://www.youtube.com/user/NiteRail.
The question is, will a 2x10 VC with Weber vintage speakers keep up with a PRRI. What about outdoors? Will it be impossible to hear myself with the low watts?
If I can sell the Old Flame for around $850, I could totally get the 2x10 cab and speakers and have about $500 leftover to put towards a different and larger head or harp amp.
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and