[Harp-L] Review - Florida Harmonica Championships

OK, Florida boys and girls - you really need to be here next year. I live just 20 minutes away and wasn't thrilled about going to see
what I thought would be a very amateurish event. I was so wrong !? My wife and I rolled in 30 or 40 minutes before the event began - a little crowded, pretty warm, open air environment - the smell of beer and barbeque in the air...? I send the wife for drafts and look around......? I recognize nobody..? wait - Tony Smith and Ron Smith from Bradenton... ok,,? I know I will hear some good playing, so I start to settle in... and I spot the inimitable Brian Purdy of HarpGear - I go over and introduce myself, and immediately notice the raw energy from this guy.... we talk a little, and I tell him about my upcoming harp mic website. He instantly offers to review a couple of my mics...? ok, wow.... Tony comes over to say hi and meet the wife, and points to a kid who looks like he just walked out of 11th grade homeroom - "thats RJ Harman" - "there are some good players here"...? One by one, I start to notice the guys who are here to play, going through their cases and gig bags - all happy and smiling -? just happy as heck to be here with all the rest of us, and to play.....??
? ? And one by one, they took the stage, playing at different levels of accomplishment, but all fitting in well with the envirionment.? SKIP, PhilHarmonica from Plant City with the Hwy 19 Band,? crowd- popping JW Gilmore out of Jax,? Tone- Master Tony Smith (who will be with the opening band at the Mark Hummel Blowout in SW Florida Oct.18), Stage-strong Mike Galloway from Central Florida who is ready to cut a new record, Lindsey Mercer with his speed licks and tongue tricks, and yes, the kid - RJ HARMAN ... as he took the stage, you could hear the whispers "look - a kid.." .... the jaws dropped and the whistles went out as he showed his full repertoire and mastery, humbling most of us..
? Aside from great harp playing,? every one of them could sing!? There were very few painful moments, and I had expected many !? Farley Palmer, a top-shelf harp player himself, put on the event with others, and did a first-class job! As well as the great entertainment - In between contestants,? Farley and the boys gave away everything from Tshirts to new LeeOskars, cases, etc... etc... ? ??
? Last, but certainly not least, Brian Purdy of HarpGear, one of the Contest's sponsors, unveiled his new HG 50 -10/12 - If I understand, it has the proven HG50 circuit, a smaller cabt, but drives a 10" and a 12". I checked with the players and Brian to see what volume it was set at, and for the most part it was at 3.25 to 3.5, with one player going to 7, but with a much looser-cup playing style. VERY loud and toneful... even with an OVERLY loud backing band and a lot of yelling.. A perfect sized all-around gig amp.? I have to have one complaint, though - the Payne Bros Band, a very talented bunch of guys who performed very well, could have played with 25% less volume, so the judges could hear all the nuances and inflections of the best players.???? I know - blame the sound guy !!!
? All in all,? Congrats and Kudos to RJ for the overall win, to Brian for nailing the amp,? to Farley for giving us the event, and to all the great contestants - I couldnt help but enjoy all of them, moreso after meeting most of them, and finding them so open and warm.?? GREAT music, great people, cold beer, great barbeque, cute girls !!?? THIS is why we play - and listen.. and love the music...?? See you all next year !? ? ? ??
????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Jeremy (my wife is making me practice more, sorry if I forgot anybody) Snell
?