RE: [Harp-L] re:Re: Importance of Close Reed Tolerances (was Manji welded reeds?)

Joe,

I think you're confusing tolerances of the reed to the slot on the reed plate with the size of the reed gap.  If we consider reed/slot as width, then the reed gap would be the height.  The higher reed gap means the harp can be played louder (or harder) because you can use more air without choking.  Tighter reed/slot tolerances mean the air is used more efficiently/not wasted going *around* the reed.

(Eh, or something like that.  I'm an accountant.  What do I know about this stuff...but that's how I conceptualize all of this working.  Maybe one of the guys who actually knows will jump in now and point out how right/wrong I am.)

Jonathan "not at SPAH 2009" Compton