Re: Subject: [Harp-L] RE: Little Guys Going Belly Up?!

Hello All,

After reading all the commentary on doing business with the small guys vs. the big guys, I wanted to share a recent experience I had, that I felt was appropriate in context....

I was doing business in a small town in upstate NY last week: I usually make it a habit of visiting small town music stores and hopefully finding something to buy.  You know, the kind of shop thats been owned by the same people for decades. The kind that services all those kids with Rock n Roll dreams, the kind that will sell a strat to a 16 year old and let him pay it off at $25 a week...as it sits there with a SOLD sign hanging gloriously from the tuners waiting for him to make that final payment. We all know those stores....in business way before the Guitar Centers or Sam Ashes of the world "Walmart'd" the instrument buying experience....more on that later.....

In the harp case of that shop is the usual fair; Hohner blues harps, marine bands, some Lee Oskar's etc - but then - looking up at me and saying "take me home baby" were two Suzuki Promasters in F and Bb. Two keys I have been looking for. My current F is an old Hohner Blues Band that I have used as my practice harp for reed experimentation (read that as reed demolition). My Oskie Bb is way out of tune....both were needed and frankly, I wanted to try them having never owned a Suzuki. I had a jones for both...big time! Which to buy? The owner looked at me and said "buy both and I will make you a deal...no one around here knows how good these harps are and they will just sit here". "How much?" I ask. "how about $XX bucks out the door?" DONE! I am not quoting the exact price though I will tell you is was well below MSRP and, even before the discount, their prices were WELL below any of the aforementioned online retailers we speak about here. ALL the other harps were priced below what I am used to seeing as well. Yes, this was a rare opportunity indeed...one I grabbed.

ABOUT THE HARPS: SUZUKI promaster mr350 (.http://www.suzukimusic.com/harmonicas/mr350/ ) The aluminum combs give it a nice heft. They are louder out of the box that my GM's or oskies. The action on them is fantastic for mel...very responsive, easily bending, Beautiful to look at and hold. Precision built like a tank. I dont think at first blow they will replace my GM's but they will certainly stay in my box and compliment them,  as the story behind them has too much positive mojo no to use them and they are really nice instruments. My cousin...a professional player...swears by the firebreath, so I had to try the brand myself. I am glad I did.

The store: Oneida Music Co - https://www.oneidamusic.com
135 Genesee St # 1, Oneida - (315) 363-2830
Very nice people. If you call them I sent you...the guy who bought the two suzuki's.

Now...about small town musical instrument stores. For me its not about the deals I get..its about keeping them in business. I remember as a teenager hanging out at the local musical instrument store with a good buddy of mine pluggin' in the les pauls, strats or the rick's, plugging into the fuzz box, going through the twin reverb and dreaming about being the next Jimmy Page (or in my case the next John Entwistle or Geddy Lee...I admit, bass always spoke to me...shame it didn't speak to my hands as well). They are - the small shops -in my opinion, the soul of the music business...most of the owners have been, or are, performers...most will offer well earned knowledge and advice when asked...though ask nicely, as you may have interrupted a nap or an indulgence of some herbal enhancement when you came in...all part of the charm.

Oh yes, before I left..the owner..she asked me to play something "we dont get to many harp players in here that know what Suzuki is (see above)"...I tooted the beginings of "checkin' on my baby"...she knew it immediately.

Deep mojo indeed!

Jeff Silverman
The story is also posted at harmonica 411 on facebook and also on HarmoniBlogtm on myspace.