Re: [Harp-L] Garden State Harmonica Club Festival

A group of us from PA are thinking of going. But my main problem (this was the case with SPAH to some extent but not as bad recently, and definitely with Buckeye) is that there is no list of seminars, or schedule of events before hand. Even "imminently " beforehand. Tsk.

So how do they expect those who need to make a distance travel decision, involving accommodations, etc without knowing how much value there will be for them? Some of these lean very, very heavily toward one particular aspect/audience of harmonica, especially in NJ I believe. That is, a lot of geriatrics (maybe I should have waited for smo-joe to say that...) playing chromatic, bass, harmonica quartets and trios a la the "good old days". And don't get me wrong, that's great stuff and quite impressive and entertaining, but not enough for me to take time off work, travel, spend $$$ in this "current economic climate". I'd go primarily for the opportunity to learn, shop gear, listen for the type/style that interests me.

I was looking around their site today for exactly this type of thing. I can see a list of guests and see a few names amid the long list of what I believe is the aforementioned style of harmonica that I could infer means they have "some" diatonic/blues content (Dennis Gruenling for one) but not a whole lot. So if that content is Thursday and I can only make fri and/or sat and I miss the boat, wow that would be disappointing.

Anyway, just a rant in case someone knows anything. I did send them an email asking for any kind of schedule of events or seminar list, even if it's "tentative", "draft", etc.

I know it's also an organizational problem, too much work, too few volunteers, etc. But still, someone somewhere must have something to go on! This in my opinion has been a huge failing on the part of those who organize these types of events if indeed they want more folks outside their mainstream to attend.

Bill

venkyr@xxxxxxx wrote:
Nov. 19-21
The last day for discounted rates is Aug. 31 . Good
for those who can't be at SPAH this year and for
those who want more. For more information, visit-
www.gardenstateharmonicaclub.org