[Harp-L] Small Business is better.

I'm basically a lurker on Harp-L. But I went a way for a few days and found this (very one sided, and to me very discussing) debate happening.

If you are after an instrument, music, coffee... Ok, anything a small independent business in the best way to get the best get the best product and the best service. I have dealt with three of the "Little Guys" mentioned and would definitely deal with them again!! The small business man is (normally) in the business that they are in for the love of it with the hope that they can make money from it and keep doing what they are doing, not doing it to make money with a love of making money. If that was what prompted small business people to do what they are doing there wouldn't be so many small business people.

As for them being more likely to go belly up, that is up to the consumer! If you take the approach of shopping with big business of course the little guy is going to go under! Then we lose the wonderful skills, knowledge and expertise that we have in small business! That would be VERY sad! Have you ever seen a major retailer give advice to someone on this or any other forum?

I added in coffee in the second paragraph because while you say it is the little guy who goes under in a hard economic times, Starbucks have shut more branches in my country then there has been small coffee shops close (makes me proud, sorry to those who lost there jobs).

Thanks to all the people who post good helpful advice and interesting stories on here.

ian
p.s. what financial crisis? I'm a farmer who has been in drought for 4years, and we don't get subsidised here!!

Message: 11 Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:54:16 +0000 (UTC) From: Jerry Deall <jdeall@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Coast to Coast Music false financial condition statement on Harp-L To: John Watts <coast2coastmusic@xxxxxxxxx> Cc: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>, Stan Walters <stanleywalters2003@xxxxxxxxx> Message-ID: <1609218268.6926431249052056665.JavaMail.root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

ALWAYS SUPPORT THE INDEPENDENT BUSINESS, OVER THE CORPORATE !