Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harp Hygiene 101 -- Follow Josh King

Maybe so, David....but I surely hope that you reserve one special  harp for
such 'specialty' playing ...as any practitioner of 'nose'  playing I've
ever met usually does?

One should be aware it isn't always curious strangers who might have an
interest in one's harps...When attending conventions such as Buckeye and SPAH,
 it's fairly routine to hand them over to the instructor (such as Joe
Filisko or whomever else is conducting the Seminar or particular table
session)... to open up or play the harp to check for problems, or even pass  around
the table.

Joe himself asked politely to look at my then fairly new Super 64 when I
had a particular gapping issue (it's more related to my TMJ problems than
anything else).  I couldn't imagine anything more disgusting than handing
over such a contaminated harp to someone trying to help me...(as classy a
person  and player as is Joe Filisko for example), ergo the reason I carry my
alcohol  wipes and make sure every one of my harmonicas are wiped down both
before and  after handling by any other person.

(For the record, I also carry a generic sanitizing spray for my hands
before and after I handle anyone else's harps and make it available to anyone
who wishes to use it.)

At a subsequent SPAH the same instrument was left overnight with a  friend
who took it to Sissy Jones early the next morning to be worked on. It
required both reed and valve replacement. Should I have not cleaned it
thoroughly first, or worse...deliberately contaminated it before she had to  touch
it?

I also don't envy customizers working on harps which come in with obvious
'crud' caked on them (I've gotten this info directly from one such very good
 customizer).  People can be absolute slobs, not making even the most
rudimentary efforts to clean their instruments before shipping them off to  be
worked on or customized.  That's plain disgusting.  If you  think I'm
nit-picking, ask any customizer for their opinion on this topic.

But thankfully those who play harps with their noses are few and far
between as it's considered a purely novelty 'act'.

Most audience members might applaud and laugh, but at the same time they're
 feeling slightly queasy by the mere thought of the player possibly later
using the same instrument for mouth playing. Might this also be one
possible reason a lot of folks still consider the harmonica a  'novelty' or 'toy'?
When I began playing (at age 4)..I never had a clue  anyone ever would or
could use the instrument this way. Good thing, or I  might never have thought
of it as a real instrument again.

I certainly do hope that everyone who plays a harp with their  nose has it
clearly marked and reserved solely for this  purpose... Otherwise, Yuck!

Elizabeth
P.S.  Note to self: make a list of 'nose' players, memorize  it and make
sure never to handle their harps for any reason whatsoever  (to help out,
clean, fix or give advice about).

PPS: Appreciate the wake-up call.