[Harp-L] When embossing makes a reed dull

Hi all,

When embossing, I sometimes find that the reed response becomes 'dull'
- when plinked, it doesn't have such a ringing sound, and the sound
doesn't last for quite so long.  Usually this is when I have over
embossed the slot, and have had to remove burrs from the slot edge
with a shim to prevent rattling.

What I'm wondering is, is this dullness purely down to the slot
tolerances being too narrow still and preventing the reed from
swinging so freely, or is it possible that I've caused the reed to
become fatigued (by pushing down too much at the rivet end)?  The reed
keeps the correct pitch and doesn't go flat as I normally think of
with reed fatigue.

Thanks,

Jon