Re: [Harp-L] skiing and harping

Bravo Chris!

I was just about to write a similar post when I saw yours and knew I should
add my "harmonica moment" to it. I just came back this evening from a
Chicago to Milwaukee drive to see a special Les Paul exhibit at the
Discovery Center. If you of you out there are able to see it I highly rec
you go. It is excellent. They have a lot of samples of his early experiments
with guitars (of course) and also a few examples of his early work with
sound amplification.
One of the interactive displays was of an experimental PA and it
incorporated his "broomstick" mic (an old fashioned candlestick phone
receiver outfit to a broomstick) run into an old handmade amp. The whole
thing is all integrated into an old wooden kitchen chair (ya gotta see it to
believe it...real Rube Goldberg set-up! ).The museum has the entire thing
encased in a clear plexi case, but  the phone/mic sticks out for visitors to
speak into. It is wired, powered, and working . You guessed it, I whipped
out a harp, cupped the old phone and blew. The tone, even through the plexi
case, kicked ass. It had  classic, overdriven, small tube amp crunch. I
laughed my butt off. I blew for about twenty seconds waiting for an
attendant to come over and give me the boot but when one came around he just
said to keep going....so I did. That's my harmonica moment for today!

Another note.... There are also other harmonica related items in this
exhibit such as his homemade harmonica neck rack. He made it out of wire
coat hangers and outfit it with an old Hohner (the harp has holes on BOTH
sides). He would spin the harp around using his chin.  There's also a few
photos of him as a kid in a ragtime band wearing the rig with the harp.

They also have a 1950s Gibson Les Paul amp on display. Typical gear junkie
that I am  I peaked around the back and drooled over the vintage Jensen
speaker and the RCA blackplate tubes.

A large photo of his garage studio shows what is clearly an old bullet mic
on a stand (the grill looks like an RCA or Shure).