Re: [Harp-L] Overbends and Tongue Blocking...

Evan,

You CAN overblow with tongue-blocking. I would suggest keeping an open mind
about it and work on it. As I understand, Dennis Gruenling TBs everything
and it was in the course of a previous thread on this topic many moons ago
that I found I could hit an overblow tongue-blocking. My overblows are
almost always puckered, but so what? I'm incorporating tongue-blocking more
into my playing and with that I still work on hitting bends and OBs well
while tongue-blocking. And OBs aside, I'm also still working on playing on
the left side of my tongue as easily as on the right. There are no rules
here, just lots of things to learn. And no one says you have to learn them
all. Puckering isn't hard, by the way. It's like sipping (and blowing)
through a straw.

Don't give up, and good luck,

John

I've read from a teacher somewhere that Tongue Blocking and overbends/blows
don't work well enough together to learn only tongue blocking and that you
have to pucker at least some of the time...

I'm learning harmonica only so far with tongue blocking but as i look down
the road to overblowing i'm wondering if i have to pucker...

Thoughts?

--
Evan S. Porter
evanporter.com