[Harp-L] Harp Hygiene 101

Hi Abner and Zach
There's some tongue blocking in cheek here:

Notes on Clean Harps (Graphic)
1) All harp players are different, carry different bacteria -or worse,
so NEVER lend or borrow a harp. I leave my harmonica box open by the edge of
the stage, and once as I was playing, to my horror I saw a young guy take
a harp from my case and start to 'serenade' his lady. At the end of the
piece I went to him, and to get the message across without anger,
quipped "I sure hope my Aids doesn't get you". He went white as a sheet and
they left the bar. I'm healthy and want to stay that way, the harp bathed in
a phenol solution for a day.
2) Most all of the bacteria on the harp you've put there yourself,
keep it that way. However, if you notice ants dying as they walk over
your harp, you may consider using a mild disinfectant, or if you often play
"Crossroads", the services of an exorcist.
3) The vinegar and salt in salt 'n vinegar potato chips disinfect the harp,
and the harp lasts longer, as it's rapidly blocked unplayably solid .
4) Eating peanuts before playing a solo offers new challenges in music.
You may have to change mode from mixolodion to desperation.
5) You will fondly remember that garlic pizza you had last Friday when you
next play lotsa draws. Similarly a good cigar lasts longer when it lingers
in a Pearwood comb. Ventilate the harp storage box well.
6) Always tap your harp briskly against the back of a passing guitarist;
it removes the moisture from the harp, and if you conceal the harp well he
thinks you're his friend. It's good for the harp and the guitarist. Love.
7) Waiting for the gunk to seal your combs is theoretical and decidedly
foul. Reeds block first. I find it's best to seal combs using a melted mix
of beeswax and petroleum jelly. If you know about the production of beeswax
and petroleum products, you may wish to go back to gunk.
8) If you suffer from nickel allergy, or are concerned about the aluminium
in cast combs, you may consider an all-plastic harmonica. These are best
cleaned by 90 bar pressure grit blasting, followed by passing the harp very
slowly over a high gas flame.
9) Very few deaths have been reported as being due to harmonica toxicity.
Most harmonica-related deaths are in fact due to lead poisoning,
from the .38 specials of outraged husbands, but that's another story.

Best Regards  Geoff Atkins