From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Rupert Oysler
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 7:52 PM
To: harp-l
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Charlie Musselwhite

Man, we were so, so lucky to have Charlie in NC!!  It was an "add-on"
date to his current tour, as he was driving from the Northeast to get to

Mississippi (as he says : "you have to stay busy... or the road will eat

you up...")...and what a thrill, an honor, and a dream-come-true that he

invited me to play a song with him. It has been amazing to get to know
Charlie, but to actually stand next to him on stage and trade licks is
just beyond description for me.

I also want to thank the generous builders of Megatone amps
(http://www.megatoneamps.com/) for bringing, setting-up and dialing-in
their terrific amp for me to play through.

Charlie was off down the road early this morning, headed for the Delta
Blues Museum in Clarksdale, MS, where he will be honored (and playing!)
at his reception as "Charlie Musselwhite: Citizen of the World", and the

opening of a new permanent exhibit about his life and music:
http://www.deltabluesmuseum.org/high/news-charlie_musselwhite.asp

...and then on to Kosciusko where the will unveil his Blues Trail
Marker: http://www.highway61radio.com/?p=1652

I have often thought how wonderful it is that Charlie is with us, still
rolling down that highway, he and his road-tired bandmates hoisting
their amps out of the back of that simple van, setting up to "kick these

blues around" yet another time...still here in the present: living,
breathing, giving us such a gift of his presence, while also being a
storehouse of information and relationships in the very creation of
modern blues.

In a world so rife with dissipation and early self destruction Charlie
stands as a beacon, an example, and a friend to all of us who love the
harmonica, and the music it makes.

Rupert Oysler
www.seydelusa.com