Re: [Harp-L] Bob Dylan Exclusive Interview: Reveals His Favorite

The other thing I find interesting about Bob's latest albums is the amazing lack of compression in the recording process. The highs are high and the lows are low. You can hear the sparkle of a cymbal and the complexity of the bass. I read in an interview in Rolling Stone that he did this very purposefully because of his disdain for the recording processes that are aimed at the Ipod / digital download market where everything is so compressed that everything is loud and there is no ambiance.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Billy James" <billyjames@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 12:06 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Bob Dylan Exclusive Interview: Reveals His Favorite

FROM BOB LEFSETZ "I don't expect Bob Dylan's new album to be good. I thought "Love and Theft" was unlistenable and "Modern Times" not much better. But I'll give it a chance, all because of "Things Have Changed", from the movie of the Michael Chabon book, "Wonder Boys". Bob got it right. He seems to get it right at least once a decade, sometimes two or three times. He's like Picasso, his flame never extinguishes, he keeps on surprising us. While other acts were left in the folk world, Dylan went electric, Christian, took so many left turns that he ended up on his own path".

O.K...although these are reasonable perceptions and descriptions of an this extraordinary artist.
There obviously are 'many of us' who think Dylan's last 3 albums *[produced by his studio persona Jack Frost]; I think they are indeed great fun to hear and are definitely the best records he's created for quite a while]. 'Contented carefree Bob' doing 'his thing' enjoying rhyming his couplets and grooving with a really tight blues band on familiar traditional grooves.
By no means are they 'unlistenable'?
In fact I would recommend them as some of the best records available in this age of triteness.
Dylan's ancient vocal delivery I think it's truly excellent. Sung only as Dylan can and characteristically for his age very wise and interesting in tone. If you want to hear something 'unlistenable' check out half the so called white middle-aged blues cover bands on You Tube or My Space or as you mention the fabulously tedious Bon Jovi back catalogue ?
I've got my Amazon order in for the 'new Dylan release' and I'm betting it will undoubtedly enhance my driving listening pleasure.