[Harp-L] Re: Coltrane/Afro Blue

That's correct -- thank you, Thomas. I never said that Coltrane wrote
the song (but I still think George Brooks is a wonderful person). What I implied is that Jason Ricci & New Blood are covering the Coltrane
version, and I doubt anyone would argue with that after hearing JRNB's
performances or the new album. Jason's harp style is profoundly
influenced by John Coltrane -- they used to play a tribute to Coltrane
called "Reverse Technology" that also referenced "My Favorite Things"
(and Coltrane didn't write that one either! It's by Rodgers &
Hammerstein. :-)

If you couldn't tell by my earlier, lengthy post about the new album,
I'm enthused by Jason's return to playing jazz, not only at the live
shows but on the studio recordings as well.  There were a couple of
years with the previous drummer when jazz dropped out of the band's
repertoire, and I felt it left a vacuum in their material.  They are now
playing not only wicked jazz covers but also writing their own jazz
originals, which is a rare and wonderful thing for a diatonic
harmonica-led group.

Jonathan Metts
Prairie Dog PR
Ph: 205.435.0991