[Harp-L] Hohner MB Deluxe disappointment

I ordered my first Hohner MB deluxe (in the key of A) two weeks ago, and took delivery on it last week.  I was disappointed to find, right out of the box, that the instrument was very breathy (meaning leaky), especially in the bottom octave, and that the draw 3 reed in particular was very weak and slow to respond.  Gapping the reeds improved matters slightly, but not much.  This basic level of un-playability is not what I expect from an instrument that sells for about $50.

I'm returning the instrument to the factory today for repair or replacement. I've been advised by a Hohner rep that this should take another two weeks.  And, of course, there will be additional expense for shipping, and a trip to the post office.

Overall, a pretty disappointing experience.  I hope the MB Deluxe that comes back from the factory is worth the trouble and expense.  If not, I'll consider it a learning experience.

Regards, Richard Hunter