Re: Re: [Harp-L] Full length covers

Richard Hunter wrote:

> Well, this is very interesting.  I believe the Special 20s I have
> fitted with Turbolids sound and play differently than they do with
> standard Special 20 covers.
> <snip>
> If what Vern says is true, the implication is that the best profile
> for a harmonica is the slimmest possible that is enough to prevent
> vibrating reeds hitting the covers.

Dr. Turbodog sent me one of his turbocovers to evaluate before they went to market several years ago.  One of the first things I noticed about them, aside from the obvious difference in size and feel, was that they seemed much quieter than the standard S20 covers.  That is, until one day I walked into my kitchen playing it, and was nearly bowled over by the volume.  I speculated - without a shred of scientific evidence - that the more focused projection of the covers meant less ambient sound in the vicinity of the instrument, but when that projection was reflected back at me it was dramatically louder.

That said, I have a set of Tombo Ultimos that I gig with, and those harmonicas have a VERY small profile and rear opening.  They don't seem any quieter or more muted than other harmonicas with larger openings.

My preference for full length covers is all about comfort, both in the hand and in the mouth.

-tim