Re: [Harp-L] Mick's crappy, collectible harp amps

Also AGREE.

There are a number of 5-watt single ended amps out there that will do it for
the nubee.  And for the more seasoned player as well.  Fender has a
re-creation of their old Champion.  Champion 600 ?? I think.  Also Crate has
a 5-watt single ended amp V-5 ??  Epiphone valve junior is also one of
these.  All of them with circuit boards made in China, and populated with
low-cost components, but you get what you pay for.......  Plenty good enough
for busking or low power jamming and especially just practicing.

For harp, one might want to install a lower gain valve in the pre-amp V1
like a 12AY7 or such - to allow the amp to be turned up more before
feedback, but we have gone over all that stuff many times.

These days, we are blessed with a number of Chinese 5-watters and if you
look around you can get them priced right.  Just ask your local guit-store
salesman how low he will go in order for you to walk out of there with that
amp.  I always bargain with my local guys.  They see me often enough and
they get a steady amount of my $$ even if it isn't that much... They usually
are willing to make a deal to keep getting more of my $$ =8^D  I always buy
guitar strings anyway...

But as far as Mick's crappy amps go...   I use Ron and Bari at "The Amp
Shop" in West Palm Beach and I haven't had a failure in more than 6 years.
Every now and then I bring them something new to re-cap and "tighten up."
But none of my 1960's amps have ever given me any trouble after I let Ron
and Bari have a look at them.  I say never, now with my fingers crossed...
<Har!>  After Bari asked me, "Is this a gigging amp?"  I said, "Of course."
and now I never have to worry.  You get what you pay for!

Splash