Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Something with full-length covers!

>From replies so far, what I'm getting is mouth comfort factor as the attraction of full-length covers.

A few years ago the full-length cover issue came up regarding 16-hole chromatics. It turns out that some players feel that the tabbed end covers, like on the regular Hohner 64 (or the 270 in the 12-hole size) deliver more focused sound than the full-length covers of models like the Super 64 and Super 64X, because the cover is restricted to the area directly above the reeds (I guess the reasoning is that the sound gets projected out and isn't allowed to fritter itself away in the areas beyond the reeds). Players actually compare this cover design to the bell of a trumpet (this per a conversation with chromatic customizer Dick Gardner).

Now I know that diatonic players do place value on opening out the back of harmonica covers. But I've never heard discussion about whether restricting the width of the covers to the reed area (as in Marine Band, Lee Oskar, Special 20, etc) as opposed to running the length of the harp (Golden Melody, Meisterklasse, Suzuki Firebreath, Seydel Favorite, etc.) had any perceived benefit.
Winslow

Winslow Yerxa

--- On Wed, 4/8/09, Tim Moyer <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Tim Moyer <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Re: [Harp-L] Re: Something with full-length covers!
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 11:10 AM

Bill Hines wrote:
> Fits in the hand better, more comfortable, easier to get a seal...

When I play a long time, like a several-set gig, the ends of the covers of
Marine Bands, Special 20s, Lee Oskars, etc., start to hurt my lips and the
corners of my mouth.  That doesn't happen with a Golden Melody, or a Tombo
Ultimo, or a Suzuki Promaster or Bluesmaster.

Unfortunately, some of the premium models only come with tabbed covers, like
the Marine Band Deluxe and the Seydel 1847.  I'd love to see the crossover
with full-length covers.  Of course, I'd like to see it with equal tuning as
well.  Paddy Richter tuning.  :-)

-tim