To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 5:41 PM
Subject: : [Harp-L] Harp on Cheek (was sealing front)

Thank you Steve,

That's what I was trying to say. I'd now like to try to explain this in terms of the actual physics for the scientifically minded. At any time, but especially when the rear of the harp is sealed, there is a path out the front of the harp for the sound waves we produce. It goes through every unplayed reed on the same side as the played note and back out the holes. When these waves "escape" to free air, the sound is not nearly as muted - which reduces the dynamic volume change from open to closed cup, reducing the "wah" effect, when playing acoustically. When playing amplified, the sound pressure on the diaphragm of the mic's element is significantly reduced, lowering the available mic-induced distortion

And like Ray said, many players like Hummel who have this ability don't even know that they do it.

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net