Re: [Harp-L] video--"amazing grace"- HOWARD LEVY

I think we've all probably had a similar experience with either a particular artist or a particular style of music. When music works for the listener, it is magic -- somehow revealing an abstract shared experience. I don't think it has much to do with technique (although part of your brain may find that part exciting) or anything else you can easily put your finger on. And when it doesn't work, it's ok -- it doesn't mean the artist is missing something or that the listener is missing something. It simply means the connection wasn't established.

The beautiful thing about it is that your perception can change over time. Things that once spoke to you may no longer do so, or perhaps no longer have the same power. Things that just didn't turn you on at one time may suddenly carry great meaning -- perhaps because of something that happened to you in between or who knows what.

I've found that I enjoy more kinds of music than I once did simply by being less critical (and less competitive) and more open to simply enjoying the experience. And, since there is so much to choose from, I don't sweat it when something doesn't move me -- I just move on, and perhaps revisit it a few years down the road.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

Richard Hammersley wrote:

It kind of bugs me I cannot enjoy his music, which I feel in one way ticks all the boxes of what I 'should' like, so if anyone has suggestions for what is musically best to listen to (not what is harmonically best) then I would appreciate it. ...