Re: [Harp-L] Re: Pocket Full of Soul pre-premiere

I was also at The Pocket Full of Soul showing in Houston.  First,
Thanks to Todd and Marc for the call.  They got Jimi Lee and myself to
play Cactus records on Friday.  It was one of those dream gigs where
the pickup band was good and the crowd was big and loving it.

The next day was great.  It looked like rain, but held off.  I watched
Gary teach harp to a group of beginners.  Guy, Gary and Jason played
great.  I left before the Survivorman Les Stroud played.

The movie itself was very well done.  I talked to some non harp
players who loved it and said it held their attention the whole way.
This was not the full movie, but a 45 minute preview.

This movie will not give serious harp players much new to think about,
but will have you smiling in recognitio the whole way.  But to the non
harp player, it is very informative and well done.

Some documentaries choose to follow one or two people and create a
story arc similiar to a regular movie.  This movie does not do that,
it is just info and opinions and music the whole way.

Some nitpicks I have:  Larry Adler is not mentioned.  At one point
they list some famous chromatic players, his name could have been
included there.

Then they talk about John Lee Williamson, but play Joe Filisko's music
underneath, not even imitating John Lee.  Perhaps it was hard to get
the rights to his music.

Other than that, really great.  I even get shown two times and listed
in the credits as one of the players, even tho my music is not heard
and I say nothing.  Ego stroked, yay!

Also, they made a DVD of lots of scenes that didn't make the movie.  I
just saw that this morning. Very good.  You could probably order that
thru their website.

I wish them great success.  I cannot wait to see the full movie.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com