Re: [Harp-L] - Gear Debate

We're all different and so generalizations are going to sometimes stir things up.  Six years of working as an elementary teacher have taught me that there are many different paths to any destination.

Some of us on the list have no aspirations to become pro musicians.  We are hobby players that may never even take the stage.  While there are many bumps in the road to becoming a skilled harp player at any level, things like gear, CDs, workshops, etc. let us get more involved in the hobby and are often fun.

Do many of us take it to seriously or far?  Certainly.  I don't see anything wrong with buying gear in order to learn how to use it properly.  I played for a year before buying anything other than a harmonica.  I am glad I waited, but I am also glad I got the chance to try a bunch of gear before buying anything...it made playing more interesting to me.

I have to second Rick's suggestions of getting a small amp and mic combo to learn on if that's what is going to make you happy.  I have little interest in playing acoustic and never have.  Buying my first amp and mic had me practicing much more and with greater focus.  I was sick of sounding awful!  I am not a pro, don't aspire to be, and I know I am not "all that", but working amped has made my acoustic tone better.  In fact, I'd have to say my acoustic tone is better than my amped tone.

Starting with a mic/amp early had a dramatic impact on my tone.  Becoming a good amped player requires much of the same as becoming a good acoustic player.  Is the order really that important?  By totally sucking with a mic/amp, I was able to figure out what I needed to work on.  Then when I was asked to sit in with bands I'd get my backside handed to me by a harp player with better tone and go back to the drawing board.  The electric rig always gave me some reference.  Of course, I learned right away that it was tone and not gear that made those guys sound so great.

Maybe gear isn't even the issue.  Maybe we should be discussing musical awarness?  To me, this has little to do with actual gear, but more to do with understanding your limitations and have the mindfulness to go after getting better.  But again, this isn't surgery...if gear talk/usage makes a harp hobby more fun, then so be it!

Finally, if I haven't rambled enough, gear does make a difference.  I am sorry, but I can tell all the time when guys are using different things.  It may only be 10-15% of someone's sound, but for those that know what's going on, it counts.  I've been chatting with my guitar player about different rig stuff (his setup not mine) and have been listening to a ton of Derek Trucks (surprise, surprise) and I can easily tell when he is using different amps or guitars.  Listen to any of his Allman Bros stuff with the PRS amp and the DTB stuff with his Super Reverb and there is a big difference.  He also ends up playing a lot differently in each band.  There is a relationship there.

 Speaking of Derek Trucks today is the last day for voting on my tune!  Listen and vote here: http://www.indabamusic.com/submissions/show/6287

Mike Fugazzi
Vocals/Harmonica
"NiteRail"
Press Kit
Video

"This year I will be more thoughtful of my fellow man, exert more effort in each of my endeavors professionally as well as personally. Take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. In this coming year I will seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me. I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can."
-Duane Allman

"Music should be healing; music should uplift the soul; music should inspire. There is no better way of getting closer to God, of rising higher towards the spirit, of attaining spiritual perfection than music, if only it is rightly understood."
-Hazrat Inayat Khan

"Music is like a river or stream that has come down to us through time, bringing nurture to man's soul.  From the past masters, this music flowed to my father and through him to me.  I want to keep this stream flowing.  I don't want it to die.  It must spread all over the world."
-Ali Akbar Khan