RE: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 vs. Marine Band Deluxe

Like lots of contributors to this forum, I've been playing for many years and have tried every major brand of harp that's been produced, along with a few custom harps over the years.  I've come to believe that it's only through trial and error that you discover the harp brand that works best for you.  So....I think that what I have to say about this might be applicable only to my own experience--we all tend to gravitate to brands and models that seem to work best for our own approach to the instrument.

That being said....I've become quite smitten with the Marine Band Deluxe and prefer it over the Sedel 1847.  I still use SP20's for routine, everyday playing and rehearsals--I consider them utility harps--and I also keep a set of Golden Melodies in my gig case for jazzy tunes where I won't be playing chords and prefer an ET harp.  I also like ET harps on minor key tunes where I'm playing in 3rd position (my 5th position playing isn't ready for prime time, yet).  But my set of MB Deluxes are what I reach for when gigging and I really want the best possible responsiveness and tone.  I've been delighted with them right out of the box and am finding that they're holding up pretty well with regular use.  I think I got my first set of MB Deluxes 2-3 months ago and they were tuned perfectly when I got them, and they still sound great, with no tweaking.  The 1847's impressed me at first but....they feel a little slow and clunky to me.  Maybe I need to check the gapping (probably).  The tone of the 1847 is fine and the out of the box quality has been generally pretty good but....they just don't feel as comfortable or responsive as I'd like.  As for your comments on the Herring 1923 model--I really liked them initially for their feel, tone and responsiveness and thought the good folks at Herring had done a great job at designing a well-tuned, great-sounding harp.  Unfortunately, though, I found that I blew them out of tune with a couple weeks of on-and-off playing and just got tired of bringing them back into tune.  I know I play a little harder than I should but....geez, I ended up thinking they were really very wimpy harps.

John