Re: [Harp-L] Summertime on A Diatonic

It was not only Miles' choices of notes, but also his choices of silences between the notes - I think Iceman will agree on this - that made his playing effective (same goes for harmonica players such as Rice Miller, aka Sonny Boy Williamson II, and Jimmy Reed).

Sometimes when listening to someone whose playing you dig, and hoping to emulate what they're doing, you may get more out of it by listening to the phrasing, almost as if it were a speech heard from afar, where you can't hear the actual words but are nonetheless carried along by the cadence of the speaker's voice. Ignore the actual notes and listen for where the phrase begins and ends, the direction it goes in, the pauses and interruptions, how it launches and how it comes to a conclusion. Once you get the feel of that, you can find your own notes to create a similar expression, adapted to your "voice" and the notes that work for you in the context of your instrument and the music you're playing.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa