[Harp-L] Re: Jason Ricci custom harmonicas

Jason made a harp for me as well. I shouldn't brag about it, but since you brought up the topic... I will. It's a Golden Melody in C with some kind of crazy composite comb that he got elsewhere. It is by far the loudest harmonica I own. (Maybe not surprising if you've ever been to one of Jason's concerts!) It's also by far the easiest to overdraw on, partly because I am terrible at overdraws and equally suck at my own customizing for that technique. I got it shortly after buying another GM in C from Joe Spiers, so I naturally tend to compare them in my mind. Although I haven't played either harp as much as I would like to due to recent illness and a dip in motivation (which I'm slowly pulling out of), I think Jason's harp is at least as playable as Joe's, with some of the bends and overbends easier to reach. It's also set up for a stronger attack, whereas Joe's harp is a delicate creature that I have to play extremely softly. {However, I have gradually learned to appreciate Joe's harp more and more as I learn to wrangle it; there's no doubt it is a well tuned instrument -- it's just very different than what I'm used to. Joe's harp helped me play my first EVER hole-one overblow, and I can do it pretty consistently.} Anyway, to get back to my original point, Jason Ricci makes awesome harmonicas, and I'm very lucky to have one. If he does put any up for sale, I'm sure they will be gone in five minutes. Jason just doesn't have the time to make many extra harps, given his insane tour schedule and how much obsessive maintenance he puts into his gig harps.

Jonathan Metts
Boulder, CO