Re: [Harp-L] polishing reeds, now scraping the sides

----- Original Message ----
From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>

>Sure. You take popsicle sticks and apply 6oo emory paper to the
>EDGES.

First time I met Joe, he gave me some used popsicle sticks. I thought, "Is he O.K.?" But, upon inspection it was the EMORY paper popsicle sticks, which are awesome. I still have and use those. It's emory paper glued to the sides (not the flat part) of the popsicle sticks/
 The process Joe is describing in the part I snipped is very important, in polishing, tuning, embossing whatever, that's a good thing to do. Usually a "dead reed" that will sound, but is hard to play and plinks dead, yet there is no good explanation, scraping the sides will fix it.
A guy Sunday after the contest had a chromatic that I fixed that way, only thing I had was my pocket knife, I just scraped the side of the reed really easily.
You can fix some light rattles this way, AND, overblowers pay attention, when you overblow a reed and it squeals and/or sounds like it's slapping something, that will often take care of it.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com