Re: [Harp-L] Re: Cryogenics

On Sep 25, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Steve Baker wrote:

Harvey Berman wrote:

<I happened to go the BHF that year, and I got into a conversation with Rick Epping, and told him of my efforts, and asked his opinion. He stated, if I remember correctly, that he had heard of it, and his opinion was that it was a real thing, and could prolong the like of Harmonica Reeds. When I asked him why Hohner did not go ahead and treat them at the factory, I left with the impression that it was not in their best interest to make them last longer.>

This is really not the case and does both Rick and Hohner an injustice. Rick devoted a great deal of time on behalf of Hohner to ensuring that the company's harmonica reeds now do last considerably longer than they used to. I proposed testing cryogenic treatment of reed plates to Hohner in the early 1990s following a conversation with a trumpet player who was familiar with this method and as Rick stated in his succinct explanation in digest 61/102, the results did not appear to justify the expense,

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com
www.youtube.com/stevebakerbluesharp

See, now here's something that I think has slid by the wayside over the years. And frankly, I have thought about TOO much.
Something comes up that 'may' be good for harmonica..BUT it is disallowed..Becauuuuuuse, it is an infinitesimal improvement or a diminumus factor and the result(s) is/are so slight that the issue doesn't justify the: Time, labor, effort, expense. Pick one. :)

B U T, what if a person were to take SEVERAL of these otherwise insignificant factors/items/nuances and incorporate a BUNCH of them into a harmonica. What would be the result(s). We already talk about taking a stock harp and re-gapping, embossing, polishing the scars out of the reeds, scooping tips, bip bip, boop boop. .

I kinda go along with the manufacturers in that any of these small incremental improvements? (sic) aren't likely to be given consideration individually, but what if someone made a harmonica that WAS truly innovative? Instead of just rehashing the same ole same ole for the last 175 years?

meeting in smokey places