[Harp-L] REF; Harp L Digest Vol 61 Issue 104 MSG # 1 Audix Fireball vs Shure 545

*Ron, Your mic tests sound good however, the Astatic JT 30VC did not stand a
chance unless Ron had installed a 5 Meg Ohm Grid Resistor at the input.
Because the crystal element in there needs 5 Meg Ohms resistance to bring
out the entire range of the tone it's capable of.  Also if your pot is not a
5 meg ohm and it's a 500K it can also steal from the 5 Meg Ohms. *
**
*I have been dealing with Ron Holmes for many years and he's the one who
built my amp and also taught me about the 5 Meg Ohms and crystal Mics
several years ago.  Before he built my amp every amp I owned I had a 5 Meg
Ohm resistor put in everyone and then your JT-30 will do what it's meant to
do.*
**
*It sounds about right with the 545. I had a like new Shure PE-54 and had
Greg make it into a wand just so I could get that VC in there, which might
have made a difference since you can tweak it.  As far as the Audix goes I
have not tried one however, I have heard some good things about them.  If I
was you I'd ask Ron if he left the stock 1 Meg Ohm grid in there since 99%
of guitar amps have it.*
**
*He will tell you about the hidden mystery of the crystal mics and that 5
Meg Ohm grid resistor for sure.  He is a great tech and a fantastic guy who
will help anyone.*
**
*KOH
Brasso*