[Harp-L] RE: Combs - I surrender with my last word

Derwood Blues writes:

"But I was talking about an electric guitar. Electric guitars, more
specifically solid body electric guitars, do not have a sound board or
"membrane" to project/amplify the sound (unless you want to go all the way
to the speaker). "

You must. In both electric and acoustic guitars it is the membrane which generates the sound you hear. In acoustic guitars this membrane is driven by the transfer of vibration from the string, in electric by the conversion of the string's vibration into an electrical signal.

"The vibration of the string is converted in the pickups. My
point was that the vibrating thing was connected to something solid and it's
sound was effected by the properties of that solid thing."

In electric guitars there is a feedback loop which can be caused between the body of the guitar and the pickup both vibrating from the string. Solid-body guitars attempt to eliminate this feedback loop by making the body of the instrument inert. In part the differences in tone can be ascribed to their success at doing this (though most are probably due to pick-up design). There are other factors too, including mounting hardware and similar that effect the way the string vibrates and how quickly it looses the energy of the initial activation. None of these are in any way present in a harmonica, neither a feed-back loop nor attempts to control or convert the energy of the reed to a vibrating membrane nor anything which would cause changes in how quickly the reed looses energy (because the air activating it controls this factor). That is why all analogies with stringed instruments fail to work--the only significant area of similarity in how the sound is produced is in the end result, the movement of soundwaves through air.

"I realize that all musical instruments are not the same. But sound is
produced by moving air and there are similarities in a guitar and harmonica
that are not there in a guitar and siren. Both a guitar and harmonica have a
"tuned" objects that are key in the production of the sound. Both those
objects vibrate. Both those objects result, directly or indirectly in sound
being produced."

The siren has a tuned object. It is the ratio of holes to the speed of the rotation. An effective siren needs the right number of holes in the disc at the right speed of rotation. This is not tuned in the way that a harmonica or a string is, but it is tuned. Moreover, while both the harmonica and guitar do have a tuned element, these two again work in very different ways. The guitar string works as, well, a string (technically a chordophone, sp), whereas the harmonica reed is an idiophone(sp). In many ways the harmonica reed is more similar to a struck bar such as in a marimba or glockenspiel than a string.

"When I spoke of lack of testing I was referring to the specific effect of
resonance."

You were not specific. However, I think the term resonance here may be dangerous. There is a lot of testing done in terms of coupling a free-reed to a resonant body, usually a form of chamber or pipe. There is less in terms of attaching a free-reed to a vibrating body (what you are referring to as resonance, from what I can deduce), though in many ways that creates a music box or kalimba, for which there have been studies. But, the harmonica is not constructed like these and also doesn't produce sound in the same way as these, so the way kalimbas or music boxes work and the way harmonicas do are not all that similar. Again, not really any more similar than with string instruments. The key is that at no point is the vibration of the reed itself being transfered into a sound producing element. Rather, it is the effect of the reed's movement in the airstream which is creating the sound.

"I have willingly and humbly listened to those who's ideas challenge and
contradict my ideas and I have learned from the exchange. But it is honestly
not an enjoyable exchange when my thoughts seem to be dismissed without
being understood yet with with "expert" accuracy."

I'll echo Vern here in that I have attempted to deal with what you wrote directly. If there were areas I did not cover, feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to correct those areas. If you feel questions asked were not answered, point this out and I'll try to explain further. Again in echo, if the problem is that you don't like the answers...

" Is sound production with
the result of moving air from two sources truly "entirely different"? "

Yes. The only significant area of similarity in how the sound is produced is in the end result, the movement of soundwaves through air.

"I guess I assumed that I should not be penalized for not having been a
member of the list for years and years. I guess I assumed that this was an
exchange of ideas and hypothesis."

I assume that the part about being a new member is in reference to my suggesting searching the archives. I do so not as an insult, but because there is a true wealth of information there. It is more like recommending a book--a suggestion for further reading which will help as much or more than this thread.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'