[Harp-L] Seydel Quality

Some one on the list queried Seydel quality having had negative experience
with product purchased just after the wall came down.
When I tried to purchase Seydels in music shops in various German cities
over the past few years, I usually got negative reactions and was referred
to Hohner. One proprietor remarked "the quality is not very good you know"
However in a recent trawl of the internet, I noticed that the dealer in
question in Hamburg is now offering Seydels.
The Seydel factory is quite open about this problem. It appears that during
the Iron Curtain days when the factory was in state ownership the
instruments were produced "by the kilo" for consumption in the East and
quality was not a primary consideration. The situation has totally changed
under private ownership. Not only is quality of the instruments more than
satisfactory  but customer service from the company is exemplary.
I bought my first Seydel in my local music store on the basis of price. I
was agreeably surprised by the quality and have subsequently purchased a few
more. I have a particular sentimental attachment to an 1847 and a Standard
Chromatic that I got from the late Igor Flach in Berlin shortly before he
died. Both of them get plenty of playing and have so far proved "bullet
proof". I have no connection with Seydel other than as a satisfied customer.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana