re: [Harp-L] New process for treating reeds

Good on ye for doing this David and very interesting that you bring it up.

Years ago, I experimented with doing such things after I watch a show
on musical instruments.  In this show there was a person who would
take trumpets, dip them in LN2 for 48. After examination under an
electron microscope he notice that all of the micro-particles in the
instrument had moved closer together. In this show he also did similar
things by putting instruments in 650F oven for 3 hours.  Both
techniques resulted in instruments that lasted much longer than
average.

My mother works in a laboratory and when I lived in MN, I had access
to LN2 and high octane ovens. I still have many harps from 1997 and
1998 that I would use in a pinch and they are still very much in tune.

I mentioned much of this stuff in the archives around 1993 or 1994 I think...

David do you just bake the reedplates or do your prep them first?

All of my harps sit in canola oil for a few hours before I bake them.

FYI- Everyone who has one of my custom harps has a set of reed plates
that has been baked. Of course there are many other special things
that I do to them as well. ;-)

Speaking of which, if you're looking for a new favorite harp or simply
interested in one of my pro-line harps it's best to get on the list
now, especially since I will be ordering a new batch of harps on
thursday. Please let me know so I have the key in stock.