[Harp-L] Re: Combs

Derwood wrote:

"My point about the siren was that the velocity of the siren, at least the
ones I have seen on firetrucks that spin, changes the frequency of the note
where on a harmonica the velocity does not effect the frequency, at least
within the range of human lung strength......"

If the sound of the siren is created by the air being 'chopped up' by its passage through the slots in the siren case, then the faster you spin, the more 'chops', or the higher the frequency.

The harp reed chops up the air, but the 'chop rate' (or frequency) is dependent on the vibration characteristics of the reed, rather then the speed of the air going past it.

Same idea (chppoed air), just different implementation and a different frequency control mechanism.

Cheers
Maka

      Make the switch to the world's best email. Get Yahoo!7 Mail! http://au.yahoo.com/y7mail