Re: [Harp-L] Position Question

Michael;
              " the key of Cm on a C harp is first position and can be played beautifully with or without overblows"
..........really? I could only do that in the top octave. How can you get Eb in the lower two without overbending or half-valving?

RD

>>> "michael rubin" <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx> 23/09/2008 0:18 >>>
Positions refer to the relationship of how many fifths higher the
tonic note is to the key of the harp. Zero fifths higher is first
position, 1 fifth higher is second position, etc. It does not matter
if you are playing major or minor, what matters is the tonic.

Am only sometimes uses the scale that is relative to C.  There are
multiple scales that sound good in Am, all of them have the tonic A
but not all of them use the notes that are in the C major scale.

For each note played, the audience hears its relationship to the
tonic(distance of notes between the tonic and the note played)   In my
opinion, it is wrong to think of Am as the same thing as C major, even
if you are using the same notes.  The note C in the key of C major
sounds like Do, (from Do re mi) the C note in AM minor sounds like Mi
lowered one half step, Meh or Ma depending on the solfege (Do re mi
stuff) system you learned.  Do and Meh sound very different to the
listener.

You are correct,  the key of Cm on a C harp is first position and can
be played beautifully with or without overblows.

Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com