[Harp-L] re: Sorry, it's combs again

First, I'm not sorry at all. These debates are useful tools for increasing knowledge for anyone interested in the harmonica as a mechanical device and a musical instrument. Anyone not interested can simply ignore them, as I routinely ignore posts about amplifiers (I use amps and have my preferences, I just don't find them interesting). So I'm not sorry, I'm glad.

I pretty much agree with all of what Vern has written today, except this one part:

"Remember, the question is not about ~any~ differences, it is about the ability of listeners and players to ~perceive~ the differences."

I think that there are many questions. The first is the most basic: does the material of the comb effect the nature of the sound produced by the harmonica. All other questions follow the results of this one: is the difference enough to be percieved by either a listener or a player. If the difference actually does exist, can players correctly recognize such a difference. If not, can the difference effectively be discounted as of no significance. If a difference does exist then why does the comb effect the sound of the harmonica. These are all interesting questions, but they all follow from the first basic one--does the material of the comb effect the sound of the harmonica.

I really look forward to Steve Baker's testing, and hope that like the first two tests attempted he will open up the procedures to harp- l debate before the tests so that we can better eliminate variables and the like. I am fairly confident what the results will be, but if they do show that there is a difference, that will be no less interesting because it brings up all the other questions listed above (and more--and will need more testing to verify the results, of course).

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'