To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:44 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Kinya Pollard's Harmonica Workbench (was tired comb debate - What help IS there? )

Suave Blues Man wrote: Kinya Pollard has done some great articles regarding how to get the most by sealing, re-covering and cover modification.

? Thanks for the link
to Kinya Pollard's Harmonica Workbench, which contains lots of
interesting and clearly explained how-to articles.? In the August 2008
edition ( http://www.harmonicasessions.com/aug08/Pollard.html
), there are several things i don't understand.? Can anyone point me to
a link or better describe what Kinya is trying to explain re the
profiles of the newer Hohner "Knittlingen scale type reeds" vs the older type of reed?

? This edition also
demonstrates Kinya embossing a harp.? He embosses only 70% of the
length of the reed slot and leaves the end of the slot opposite the
rivet un-ebossed, so that the free swinging end of the reed still has a
lot of tolerance surrounding it.? What is the purpose of not embossing
the entire length of the slot?

? I'm not familiar with the seam scraper tool (Micro-Mark tool #80801).? Can anybody shed any light on what this tool does and how to use it?? I read the description on the Micro-Mark website ( www.micromark.com ), but I still don't understand.

ron - FL Keys