[Harp-L] Elk River Harmonicas contest results (congrats W.Va. Bob)

Dave, man, a 303 Enfield? Ain't that like the LOUDEST rifle short of a big-bore?  I trust you were all wearing hearing protection.

In my law office of yore I proudly arrayed my NRA marksman certificate next to my ACLU membership certificate, etc.   But I don't know if I could hit the Silver Shadow at 75 yards, standing free, with an Enfield!   A fat old XB40 or chrom, sure!   Good work.  Now let's see the scientific papers about how what sort of harps respond how to what sort of bullets at what distances!  Frankly, it might be better use of harps than in some instances . . .

And congratulations to the winners!!

-Dave Fertig

Just back from the Mid-Ohio Valley Harmonica Championship Jason played AWESOME!
I played one with my cousin Roger Adkins, this Jason played. Then, the
contestants played and we had a nice jam at the end. It was actually a pretty
good show...

First Place, our Bob McGraw (W.Va. Bob) from Bluefield... He swapped chromatics
and diatonics all over the place. He won a Seydel 1847 and a SWEET six-harp
leather custom case from Cumberland Cases.

Second place: Dan Ridgewell, Sommerville, Mass... no kidding, he drove from
Mass., won a Seydel Big Six.

Third place: Dick Kirk, won a Seydel Solist.

 So it was all pretty awesome. There is video that will be uploaded on Youtube
later of Jason playing... should get some more video in, Dan's dad shot
some and said he'd sent it to me later.

I also got a video of Jason RIcci, Brady Mills and I shooting guns right after
the contest. We were shooting a WWII British Enfield (which I customized) .303.
a Marine Band, shooting it open sights (no scope). That video will up soon. We
used a rifle from that era to illustrate (not seriously) how they would have
gotten the lead into the alloys on the prewars and we were recreating that
process..
We were shooting a Marine Band at 25 yards and a Silver Shadow at 50 yards,
nonserviceable harps and the Marine Band was of the newer reeds we don't
like anyway.... Brady got close on the Silver Shadow, so did Jason, but they
could not quite hit it. So, I put a few bullets through them. The first time I
hit the Marine Band, it was just like in the movies where a guy gets shot in the
shirt pocket and the harp saves his life. It was weird, found the Marine
Band about 30 feet away and the bullet did not penetrate, but it blew three out
of four coverplate bolts out (I had drilled this one for bolts).
Next shot I  I hit the Marine Band right in the 2 draw (I was aiming for the
five draw zone) and the bullet went right through..
Did get some good footage of Jason shooting a water-filled 2 liter Bubba Cola
bottle at 25 yards. Got the Bubba cola bottle exploding, etc. We got some good
footage.

Dave