From: Vern Smith <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: iiullah@xxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:59:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Comb Material--some other thoughts

Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac Ullah" <iiullah@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:45 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Comb Material--some other thoughts

........What are the properties of a wood that can make it a good choice for
use as a harmonica comb?............

Since I deny that it has any effect on tone, I can't think of any.

There are many properties that make it unsuitable for harmonica combs:

It is porous and can absorb crud.
Screw threads in wood are weak and strip after repeated use.
Nails in wood weaken with repeated removal and replacement.
Intermittent exposure to breath moisture causes it to swell, shrink, warp,
split and peel.

In the nineteenth century, it was the best material available, but not any
more.

Vern