[Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Playing at Jam Sessions

Larry Marks wrote:
<I think of the harp as mostly a lead instrument. In an acoustic setting,
<the harmonica can play rhythm as well, but in electric bands, it is
<usually not very good for rhythm.

Liberal use of "usually" noted.

I think that a lot of harp players could do a lot more with using the harp in a supporting (vs. lead) role in electric bands.  2 things in particular would help a lot:

1) A little more knowledge of theory, so the player would know what notes go with which chords, and be able to match the right harp to the chords.
2) A little more experimentation with tone-altering devices like delay, chorus, flange, phase shifter, pitch shifter, rotating speaker, etc.

In other words, if you can play the right notes for the chords, and get a range of sounds, the role of the harmonica in the band could be expanded a lot.  A lot of organ players just hold down a couple of notes in the background with a big sound on them, and throw in a fast or slow vibrato when it's needed to bring the emotional intensity up or down. No reason why harmonica can't do the same.

There is a band out of Savannah GA called "Perpetual Groove."  If you can get a copy of one of their pieces, listen to what the keyboard player is doing.  A lot of the time, the guitar, bass, and drums are playing lots of notes, and the keys are just gluing the sound together with a few well-chosen notes and a sound that evolves just enough to keep your interest.   If you think about how you'd play that stuff on harmonica, you can see that it's not all that hard--it just requires thinking a little differently about how you play the notes.

In short, I think the potential for harmonica to play a more important supporting role is there.  It just means thinking a little bit differently.  Harp players have thought a lot about how to make the leads work already.

Regards, Richard Hunter