From: michael rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Cm7b5 (no harp content, unless you consider music related to harp)
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 1:46 PM

Okay, but when I am talking about the blues scale, I say flat 3rd, but I
write 3b. This is different than you suggest "It's customary to put
modifiers before the scale degree modified" Am I in error?  When I say
flat
3rd, should I write b3?
In the half dim. chord we say flat 5 but write b5, like you say.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com

On 9/18/08, Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Say it out loud: C minor 7, flat 5.
>
> It's customary to put modifiers before the scale degree modified:
>
> Sharp 9, #9
>
> Flat 5, b5
>
> Major 3rd, M3
>
> DIminished 4th, dim4
>
> However, when we refer to specific notes, we put the modifiers sharp,
flat,
> and natural after the note name:
>
> C sharp
>
> E flat
>
> F natural.
>
> The m7b5 chord used to be called "half-diminished", meaning a
diminished
> triad with a minor seventh (as opposed to a true diminished seventh chord,
> which would have a diminished 7th, one semitone lower than a minor 7th). A
> minor triad with flat 5 is a diminished triad. So the term m7b5, while it
> mischaracterizes the triad involved, is a literally accurate description
of
> scale degrees and is therefore not as mysterious as "half
diminished."