Re: [Harp-L] Comb material - the last word?!"

On Sep 18, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Tom Halchak wrote:

After some research and much conversation, it appears that:

a) This is a subject that has been debated many times in the past

True..oh SO true.

b) There is no conclusive proof that comb material makes much difference - however,

Why does it have to be proven? Doesn't a person's personal feelings play a part? I mean, what is this, some kind of a contest? I mean, if it's proven or dis-proven would that make the world spin slower/ faster? Why can't a person feel that they can perceive a difference? Isn't it possible that there are ringing overtones, microtones, or vibrations that a player prefers from one material in preference to another material. Why does everything center on whether the listeners can hear a difference?

It's like the silly tourage about tuning. There's just, equal, 12- tet, and yada yada. There was an 11 man ensenble at spah and deducting the Wizard Winslow's baritone harp, and Stan Bowe's bass harp, the other 9 players were playing mostly 64 reed chromos (some used 48s) , AND they were DIFFERENT makes & models.. The 'eloquent Peloquin' never ONCE asked anyone if their harps were in tune. During the wonderful amazing show at 'whatchamacallit & soups' downtown St. Louis, did it really matter what Madcat the cat in the hat was playing? Everyone sounded amazing to ME. Was everyone right on tune? I seriously doubt it.

I mean golly gosh guys, I can pick up 3 IDENTICAL Hohners in the same key and they will all have subtle differences. Are these differences enough to nail down definitively? No, but they are still there. I had a Toots hard bopper that used to sit on a Circassian Walnut comb. When I mounted the plates on a bronze comb, I could tell the difference. Now, it is true that maybe I changed something ELSE in the overall dynamics without realizing it, and maybe those change(s) HAD an effect. I don't know. But what difference does it make? This whole thing is like splitting DNA.

c) Those that do believe comb material produces a different sound are
prone to seek out and experiment with different materials - and there are
plenty available.

So this shouldn't be a crime

I think that I am one of the people who fall under category c.

I fit categories c & d.

Having said, that, I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Why not. Maseratis used to come with wire wheels. Now they come with mags.

Mark sells replacement maple combs for only $20.00 on his site so why muddy the water?
Anyone who wants to try one would probably be better off doing business with
Mark. He obviously has vastly more experience than I do.

Experience isn't what it once was. Just look at your presidential candidates. lol
Since I am somewhat of a tinkerer,

Then you should tinker.

I will however, continue to pursue this
experiment and to those of you who expressed an interest, I'll keep you
posted about what I am up to and am still willing to send out samples if I
come up with anything interesting.

Try linen micarta.

smo-joe

Tom H.