[Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Playing at Jam Sessions

Bill Hines wrote:
<I used to wonder the same thing! "hey the other instruments are all playing
<when the singer is singing!"  I think it's fine to play background/chords
<at *low* volume to provide the same type of backing that the other instruments do.
<I like using the opportunity to work on chords, split octaves when doing this. <Sometimes
<I try to parallel what the person on the organ (hammond b3) is doing or compliment
<it (not during their solo of course).

The problem with the harmonica playing while the singer is singing is that the harp and the voice occupy a very similar frequency range.  When two instruments with a similar frequency range are playing at the same time, one tends to "mask" the other.

It can certainly be done--we've all heard examples of great harp work behind a vocalist.  But it takes a lot of care on the harp player's part to make it work.  Chords at low volume can work, but with higher-pitched harps even those can step on the singer.  Sometimes it's just better to play when the singer's not singing.  As I recall, that's what Magic Dick did most of the time.

Regards, Richard Hunter