Re: [Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Playing at Jam Sessions

It all depends on who is running the jam. When it was a B3 player, he was a show off and the guitar player was his buddy. Now that I play with a baby grand piano player, everything has changed. The piano player loves me.

smo-joe

On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:57 PM, billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I used to wonder the same thing! "hey the other instruments are all playing when the singer is singing!" I think it's fine to play background/chords at *low* volume to provide the same type of backing that the other instruments do. I like using the opportunity to work on chords, split octaves when doing this. Sometimes I try to parallel what the person on the organ (hammond b3) is doing or compliment it (not during their solo of course).

Bill

From: MARVIN Fleischman <m0flei01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
When playing at certain types of jam sessions, why is it that guitars, etc., are
welcome to play while someone is singing, but not the harmonica, even if it is
being played softly? Regarding playing the harmonica during a blues jam and an
Americana jam, I have been told to play less and make it count. When it is an
unfamiliar song to me, I like to play very quietly to get the melody in my head.

Marvin Fleischman

!DSPAM:5614,48d1a79630041473376259!