Re: Subject: [Harp-L] My Misty

In a message dated 9/14/2008 1:02:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
leone@xxxxxxxx writes:

On Sep  13, 2008, at 5:16 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, Warren...what  can I say?  I was one of those privileged to
> have heard it  'before'...and already told you I really liked your
>  version.  You nailed the one part you'd previously had a wee bit of
> difficulty with.

The reason he had difficulty with it was  because he was using my new
'A' spl-20 and it wasn't even 'likely'  set up for someone as
accomplished as Warren. It's hard to be fluid  with a tight new spl-20
right out of the box. I had just purchased  it the day before.
..I'd quite forgotten that about your harp...you did tell me after the  fact,
when
Warren was onstage.  Even more reason for the kudos. I  remember  you saying
the A spl-20 was extremely tight.

> ..we'd played this together at my house (me on chromatic  of
> course)....and how you managed to get it from there to here  in such
> a short time is simply astonishing.
>
> One  thing we've always said (anyone who talks about you behind your
>  back ;)   ...is that you're an amazingly 'sweet' player, quite
> catching people by surprise, when one maybe expects something
> different from such a big guy with a doo rag.  Perhaps that's  what
> your friend meant, just phrased it badly?

I  understood what he meant and I was only teasing.
...of course. I know that you think very highly of Warren and his style of
playing and are one of those I intended by 'those who talk about him behind
his back as a 'sweet' player'...(should have added that the same people who say
that mean it in an extremely complimentary manner....since he also manages to
 play Blues with enough 'grit', but somehow adds that  sweet melodiousness
that's all his own)...

Just got  back from
the gig and it seemed that tonight, out of 23 tunes, about  10 were
special requests for me to do tunes. I'm sure that if Warren  had been
there, he would have had FIFTEEN requests. He and Ben  Nathanson have
something that few others have.
...I don't doubt Warren would have had a ton of requests...he's such a
showman. I've gone to see a gig he played with his folk/guitar friend a couple  of
years ago.  The audience was very happy and complimentary, loved the
interaction with him and kept asking for more songs...but don't sell  yourself short.
You should be aware that your style of jazz playing  is extremely good and
highly entertaining, which is why you have this  particular gig (and why I 'let
you' play onstage with me.) <G>

... Warren hasn't played jazz standards like Misty before at all...but  wow,
what an introduction.

> You also played Misty at that last Open Mic right  before the Spah
> meeting Sat. afternoon....(and right after I'd  shook in my shoes
> playing onstage for the second time  ever).  You sounded great then
> too. Sure calmed ME down,  hearing you play this gorgeous song with
> no backup; people  getting set up for the meeting, talking..didn't
>  matter.

What are you talking about Elizabeth. You did the same thing.  Playing
like a little bird with a broken wing.
...Smokey, let's not get carried away.  I had you backing me up, and  my new
Ipod loaded with great piano and guitar backing tracks..making it a lot
simpler to play the way I do at home (as long as I kept my eyes closed and
pretended there was no audience).  And the CX-12 is an instrument which  seems to
lend itself well to playing one-handed, since it turns out I've had a  shoulder
fracture all along and couldn't do much more than I managed, this trip.  But I
really do appreciate and thank you for your support;  backing me  onstage and
helping me choose songs...you sure made me sound better than I  really was.

You've  lost your stage fright.
You've been outed.

smo-joe

.....weeellll  perhaps not quite, despite your insistence.   We'll see if
that's true the next time I try.  But yes, there's definitely  more of an
anticipation that I just might be able to try this again.   Especially when Randy
insisted he wanted me to play at next year's Jazz  jam....now that's scary,
nerve-wracking...but exciting all at the same  time!

Elizabeth