Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Comb material

Hi Tom:

..not getting into the whole 'comb material doesn't matter' debate, since I
believe that it has always been up to the player to decide whether or  not the
harmonica sounded 'warm' or 'metallic' to his/her own  ears...and it's not
anyone else's business to make that determination for  another musician.  It's
entirely up to me (and you) to decide what it is we  hear and what instruments
we wish to play. We do still have the freedom to  purchase and play our
instruments according to our wants, needs and  tastes.

 Personally...I love the look (and heft) of Chris Reynolds' combs  after
checking out a couple of his harps at SPAH. I like the idea of  titanium combs
too, but I still love the sound I hear in my small, little old  260 wood-combed
Hohner chromatic.  No reason one can't like them  all.

Nevertheless...in re the discussion of what woods would work for combs,
please do keep in mind that there are a great many woods  that can be toxic, and
probably not a good idea to use for harmonica  combs.  Here's a link from the
Musical Instrument Makers Forum  with a bit more information:

_http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm_
(http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm)

..this subject has been raised before, either here or on another  harp list
and from some of the past posts (if I remember correctly), I  don't believe a
sealant was enough to block the toxicity for a mouth  instrument.  I did know
about the toxicity to other plants of Black  Walnut, and always get a rash on
my arms if I trim the yews in my garden...but  didn't know much about most of
the rest.  Live and  learn.

Elizabeth

Message: 8