RE: [Harp-L] Fender Champs: Tweedifying a Blackface or silverface

I used the Torres "Champ Champ Kit" to tweedify my 1973 Vibro Champ.
Wasn't impressed. Maybe for guitar, but not any more useful for harp.
Gobs of distortion on tap, but not much else. A little more prone to
feedback, actually. Tried Jensen reissue speakers, a reconed Oxford
(original in the VibroChamp) and a MojoTone. Of all of those, the Jensen
C8R sounded the best.

Stripped it to the chassis and built it back up using a tweed Princeton
circuit. Had a new faceplate made with cutouts for only volume and tone
knobs. Got all that kit from Weber (Kendrick Amps), including a Kendrick
8" Jensen clone. $289 for the Kendrick kit. $15 for the Torres kit. $150
for the other speakers tried. Total = $454.00

Verdict - Wish the Epiphone Valve Jr. had been out then. I could own
four of those...and been happier in the long run. In my opinion, the new
Fender Champion 610 is hard to beat. It's got the look, the tone and the
price. If you need something bigger, then the SF Champ probably wouldn't
foot the bill anyway.

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL