[Harp-L] American Ace harmonicas in Key of G for harmonica classes

I have used the American Ace harp in key of G for teaching, and I like it for these reasons:
1. If you are in a room full of people playing in the upper two octaves on a C harp it can get really squeaky - the lower register is much easier on the ears
2. The American Ace is a naturally quiet harp - the reeds are a bit thin, which makes it hard to play loud, and easier to bend in general.
3. It is a lot cheaper than the Big River.
4. I find it easier in general to play out of the box than the Big River.
5. The top octave on a G harp is easier to play than the top octave on a C, so you have more access to melody notes that are relatively easy to play.
6. G harps sound great for train rhythms, and train rhythms are a great way to start on the harmonica. I have taught a group of 60 people how to play a basic steam train imitation in under 10 minutes, and they really got a kick out of it.

A warning: if you order them in quantity, make sure that the person taking the order is paying attention and hears G "as in Golf" or you may end up with a bunch of C harps - that happened to me once, and I had a box of Gs from one order and a box of Cs from another.....

Richard Sleigh

shop address:
205 E. Pine Street
Philipsburg PA 16866-1623