From: Mox GOWLAND <mox.g@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2008 12:04:28 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] questions about high keyed harps

"samblancato"  said
>I have some questions about harps in the key of D through F.
snip
>those D and E-flat harps are TIGHT and I'm also choking out
some notes as soon as I land on them
snip
>Do I need to go the customized route for the higher keys?

Hi Sam
according to Pat Missin,
standard Hohner harps,
from Db to F#,
have shorter slots
which could explain the problem that your having.

If so, then I can think of two possable solutions:

a) Play less hard
(& yes I know, old habits are hard to break)

b) SLIGHTLY open up the gap with a shim/razor blade
(not enough to disturb the tuning)
this will let more air through
making the 'sounding' of the note closer to your usuel style

Can't be certain, some one will correct me here,
but I seem to recall that Seydel 1847 have kept long slots as a standard

Hope this helps
Mox
http://newhokumsheiks.com ;