Re: [Harp-L] Tone Wars - Middle Class Rig

Now I think it's time to say my opinion.

Tone, amps, mics. What the hell is going on guys?

First of all. If a harp player has a great acoustic tone, when he play through an amp he got a great electric tone. That's all. I don't care much about Chicago style, Texas style or whatever. The tone is the tone. No matter what they say, if you got a good acoustic tone, you'll have a great amplified tone. If you don't...well keep on working on it. There ain't no amp, no POD, no mics that can improve your tone. They only AMPLIFY what you are as harp player.

Second. The great musicians don't care about the gear. They know how they should sound. If you give them a bad gear they will sound good, if you get them a great gear they will sound GREAT! That's the point. You are the sound, you know where to reach it and you should know how to get it everytime with everthing you got available.

Third. It's too long time I see here in Italy and now worldwide this kind of "war". We all should think about playing with feeling and saying somethine instead of thinking about amp, mics, and something like that. When I was 16 (ten years ago) I heard a good harp player here in Italy, testing his harps before the show. He had a great tone. And I said "Wow, that's the way a harp player should play!" I mean: I don't care if I have a great amp or whatever. If I have a good tone and a good playing, I don't need anything. But if I have a good car (gear) I can make my trip using less energy, feel more confortable, and having something new to say at every riff, because I let the sound inspire me!

Have fun.

Riccardo Grosso
www.myspace.com/riccardogrossoharmonicaplayersinger